|View: Quality Enhancement Plan Document (PDF)|
What is the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)?
The Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is a five-year action and implementation plan designed to enhance student learning and further strengthen Bishop State’s educational mission. The QEP is required by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), the regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern States. The Commission’s mission is to maintain the educational quality of colleges throughout the region and help them develop programs to improve learning and success for their students.
Why Are We Creating a QEP?
Every 10 years SACSCOC requires regionally accredited colleges and universities to renew their accreditation. As an integral part of the accreditation process, Bishop State administrators, faculty, and staff developed a new orientation course to improve student learning in a number of areas. This new program is called Strong Start – First Time Student Orientation Course.
When will Strong Start – FTS begin?
This mandatory course will be first implemented in the fall of 2015. All new students with General Education majors (both Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees) will be required to take the course. Strong Start will be required by ALL first year students in the fall of 2016.
What are the Objectives of Strong Start – FTS?
- Introduce students to the knowledge and skills needed to attain educational and career goals
- Improve the learning environment at BSCC
- Complete attempted math and English courses with a C or better
- Improve persistence from term to term
- Provide professional development
- How to use BORIS, campus email, and other technology provided by the College
- Work with advisors to develop students' program of study plans
- Learn time management techniques
- Implement effective study skills
- Navigate around campus
- Utilize college transfer programs such as STARS, and CollegeFish
- Utilize vital student resources, such as, tutorial laboratories, career vocations, job search tips, & more
Melanie Smith, Ed.D., Division of Mathematics
Tel. (251) 405-7128